Thursday, May 21, 2009

Introducing Happy Heiny's Cloth Diapers and Trainers

 
 
 

After much research, I moved into retailing cloth diapers other than the ones that I sew myself. After much debate, I decided to make this decision for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted to provide a fuller range of products than what I am able to sew and perfect. Many people prefer pocket diapers and I get requests to sew them. I will not sew and sell a pocket cloth diaper unless I am able to afford an attorney to help me be sure my design is not included in the patent covering pocket cloth diapers. I know lots of people make pocket diapers and sell them without any problems, but this was the only decision I am comfortable with personally. Secondly, I've realized that I need a source of income that is not tied to how many hours I can sew each week. By retailing Happy Heiny's diapers, I am able to diversify my WAHM income stream.

In no way am I going to slow down or quit selling my "home sewn" One Size All-in-Two cloth diapers. I love my product and it is unique to the marketplace! I have not yet found a mass produced one size bamboo velour all-in-two cloth diaper.

In searching for a company whose products align well with my products, I chose Happy Heiny's for a couple of reasons. First, they are manufactured in the USA. I want to support American jobs. Secondly, Happy Heiny's began as a small WAHM shop, just like mine! Thirdly, I like their warranty and customer service. After I was approved as a retailer for Happy Heiny's, I realized that the business headquarters is within 5 miles of where I graduated from High School.

I don't plan to carry a large selection of every product that Happy Heiny's sells. I will focus on one size diapers with snap closures and training pants. The diapers I sew are primarily one size with snap closures. And, I do plan to add cotton and bamboo inserts to my store to use in the pocket diapers and trainers if someone wants an alternative to microfiber inserts.

So, I have added the products to my store, so go check it out!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. April, the only worry with selling pocket diapers is if you use a leading edge opening...that would be a violation Fuzzi Bunz' patent on pockets (although you CAN make up to 5 leading edge pockets per year without retribution). Pockets that do not have a leading edge opening are safe from any sort of patent violation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherry, Thanks! I did read the documentation on the patent and also the case law and I just decided for me the best overall decision for me is to just not make pocket diapers. I did work on developing a pattern that would be outside the patent, but the time of drafting and testing another pattern combined with my research and my need to a source of income not dependent on my time spent sewing led me to the conclusion that a wholesale relationship was the best fit for me. There are other WAHM's out there who make great pocket diapers that are not covered by the patent, like you :), and I have no problem referring customers to them! I just think this is the best decision for me personally.

    ReplyDelete