Friday, May 29, 2009

One Size All-in-Two Cloth Diapers w/ Bamboo Velour and Zorb

 

 


I just finished this order or diapers for a local mom. She is planning to use them with her newborn baby girl due in three weeks. She picked out the outer fabrics that she liked from my fabric gallery. Then, I made them up using her fabric choices and using bamboo velour, bamboo fleece, and zorb for the inserts. When my 97/3 wool comes in, I plan to also make her some doublers to place underneath the snap-in insert as a new baby present.

I really like working with the zorb so far. It is thick and more rigid than any other fabrics, but it seems to work well. And, I much prefer cutting and sewing zorb compared to microfiber. I don't think my fold down style soaker will work with the zorb, but the standard style works fine. The zorb is just so rigid that I don't see it folding down very well.

My 97/3 wool should hopefully be to me within a week or two. I love this wool because I can super-felt it and then it becomes washable. I plan to use it as the backing to diaper doublers because wool will absorb so much liquid. And, since it if completely machine washable, you can wash the doublers with your diapers on hot and not experience any shrinkage or warping! I'm very excited for it to get to my door.

If you are interested in having me make a diaper order for you, check out my custom order policies for the details!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Do you ever have trouble with this style of serged diaper leaking out the sides? I have two diapers that were serged and not turned & topstitched and they always leak. I wanted some advice on what I should try. Should I try more, or just stick with turn & topstitched diapers?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amber, I haven't had a problem with them leaking and haven't received feedback from my clients that they have had problems. However, the way that I make these diapers will hopefully reduce the chance of leaking. If at all possible, I avoid using an absorbant inner layer and prefer to use microfleece as an additional waterproof layer. I also use only 100% polyester thread. A thread with cotton in it will cause leaking for sure! If you still have leaking after using polyester thread and microfleece, most likely you need additional absorbency in the diaper itself. All diapers will eventually leak, it is just how long until it happens, is it after 30 minutes or 10 hours? I didn't show the inside of these diapers in the picture, but they are made as an all in two. I wouldn't make a serged all in one with a cotton outer print for fear of leaking problems. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete