Saturday, May 30, 2009

Amy Butler Birdie Sling - Finished!

 

 

 


I realized yesterday that I didn't have a graduation present for my husband's niece. The graduation party is today. Oops! I have wanted to make the Amy Butler Birdie Sling for awhile, I've had the pattern for almost a year. So, I decided to make her a Birdie Sling for her graduation gift. She loves red and I had some red wallflower fabric from the Amy Butler Lotus line, so yesterday I went to The Top Stitch, a local fabric store, and bought some coordinating fabric. I ended up cutting the blue fabric upside down, but you probably couldn't tell unless I told you. The bag does have some minor flaws as do most things when you make them the first time. But, I'm happy with how it turned out! And best of all, I got it done in time for the graduation party! It did take me about 6 hours to complete. And, I did have to rip out one seam that I did wrong (after I ripped it out I decided it was time to go to bed). One common complaint I have heard about Amy Butler patterns is that they use a lot of fabric. But, I was able to reposition some of the pattern pieces to better use the fabric. At first I wasn't going to include the pockets to save time. But, as I thought about it more, I decided that it is such a large bag that it really does need the pockets if you want to ever find your car keys. I didn't make the pockets according to the pattern, but improvised an easier and quicker design. Overall, I'm really happy with how it turned out! I hope she likes it!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. This is an adorbable gift idea--what talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your interpretation of this popular bag. This is such a great graduation party gift!!

    ReplyDelete